I did some experimenting in the kitchen yesterday and made some low protein sugar cookies with Cambrooke MixQuick. Here’s the recipe I came up with:
2 1/2 tbs margarine (melted)
1 tbs brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
270 g mixquick
2 1/2 tbs water
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix margarine, water, and vanilla.
3. Combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, Cambrooke MixQuick, baking soda, and salt in another bowl.
4. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet. The mixture will appear a bit dry, so you will have to continue mixing it by hand.
5. Roll round spoonfuls of dough into balls (approximately 22 grams each) and place onto a lightly greased pan. Flatten the cookies either with your hand or the bottom of a cup (greased to prevent sticking).
6. Bake for 7-9 minutes.
7. Allow the cookies to cool completely to avoid breaking/crumbling.
The recipe makes approximately 20 cookies, and I estimated the mg of phe for the entire recipe to be around 3 mg of phe. Be forewarned that this is just something I tossed together, and I am far from an excellent cook. Genavieve (my three year old PKU sister) and Brennan (my two year old non PKU brother) devoured the cookies within minutes though, so I am assuming they weren’t that bad LOL.